Saturday, 21 November 2009

tessera news...

at the joint meeting of Serie A & B presidents yesterday it was agreed that the tessera will not be introduced in January, as the minister for the interior Roberto Maroni had wished, but instead will be postponed until the start of the 2010-11 season. Meanwhile a commission has been set up (including several 'tessera-sceptics') to "improve & modify" the scheme, according to today's Corriere dello Sport.

What does this mean? well, the government's hardline position - the much repeated line that 'If you oppose this card then you support violence' - has not managed to win round the clubs or the football authorities. Secondly, fans have made their feeling sufficiently clear to their club owners that it has become impolitic for presidents to support the scheme too aggressively. Did our march last week (hilarious described by some visiting spurs fan as 'a riot', apparently) help to win this reprieve? I'd like to think so. Some of the coverage was quite positive - and suggested that the protest was taken more seriously than some of us had feared. Whether this will change anything in the long term of course is another question; maybe Maroni is hoping that by the summer we'll have forgotten all about it andwe'll shut up & go away.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good work.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and sp*rs fans, tsja.

See, I'm not that anonymous, am I?

Martinus Scriblerus said...

Gosh. Maybe activism does work, sometimes. Even a small concession is a start.

ginkers said...

A good result at last!

Fadayn said...

I would guess they've 'postponed' it indefinitely?

Looking forward to the derby?