Tuesday, 6 October 2009

sprechen sie deutsch?

I have started German classes. Leaving aside the fact that the only one I can fit into my stupid schedule is on a Tuesday from 08.00-09.30 I am quite excited about this. I am studying at the Osterreich Institut (since I mainly will be reading things to do with Austria, in my ultimate objective of studying both sides of the war). There are only 6 of us in the class and we will be breakfasting together, Germanically.

I have also joined a gym. This is less exciting than the German, and probably harder work, but better for me. The gym instructor is a short, enormously stocky and heavily tattooed laziale to whom CB blithely revealed my footballing orientation. If I die of a heart-attack on a treadmill you know why.

Rome is still unseasonably hot - sandals and tshirt weather - and I was kept awake half the night by tormenting mosquitoes. Grr.

3 comments:

ginkers said...

I suggest you combine your gym lessons with the German. Schnell! Schnell! Raus! Raus! etc...

Martinus Scriblerus said...

I'm impressed, but it seems exhausting and almost puritan. How will you cope if you develop empathy for the nazis you slaughter on a daily, nay, Righteous basis?

Spangly Princess said...

well, puritan is perhaps an overstatement. going to the gym is sometimes nice.

no time to slaughter nazis right now but empathy unlikely when their blood sprays so melodramatically across the screen