Actually a break has been rather good for me: a break from the computer, a break from blogging, and even a break from thinking about football at all. Chelsea Boy points out that you will all have left me in my absence, and having been pretty much incomunicado since late June this may be the case. On the other hand, you should be used to it by now.
News & comment in brief:
- CB & I have moved into a new flat all of our own. Well, rented, so not our very own. But just the two of us, not shared. What we lose in relentlessly carnivorous Slovakian flatmates we gain in having an actual living room. With a sofa. CB may never prise himself from it again.
- I have bought a lovely new sewing machine (a Singer 7463, for those who are interested. I think that's at least 1 of you).
- The sofa is disgusting. I shall be making loose covers for it.
- Ibra for Eto'o + over €45 mill is the bargain of the century, Inter must be laughing all the way to the bank.
- I have had a paper accepted at a conference for Italianists... this is alarming since normally I only talk to First World War historians. Italian historians may laugh at me and poke me with big sticks. Time will tell.
- Holidays, of the kind where you actually rest and relax, are ace. There is a social imperative for intellectual middle-class types to spend holiday time ceaselessly "doing" museums, galleries, views, churches, ruins, exhibitions, temples, cathedrals, historic washhouses &c in order not to "waste" precious holiday time. Strangely it seems that lying on the beach in a place you have been 83 times before with a succession of paperback books is more restful, recuperative and de-stressing. Who would have thought it.