Thursday, 5 February 2009

police state

The government here has succeeding in including in its controversial and much-vaunted security bill the requirement that all doctors must denounce to the police any illegal immigrants they may happen to treat. To say that this has made me grind my teeth my rage is a terrible understatement.

Sometimes the Right does things which, while I might not support, I can at least comprehend and even respect. Here I am struggling. Are doctors then to be made agents of the state in this way, even if treating private patients? Is it really more important that we expel illegal immigrants than that the socially excluded feel confident in taking their sick children to the doctor?

4 comments:

Martinus Scriblerus said...

Bye bye, hippocratic oath.

Anonymous said...

Puts them into a very difficult position, doesn't it? How many will disregard this?

ginkers said...

I find that incredible, it will only drive people to get health care in more and more dodgy circumstances...

Spangly Princess said...

It seems that what they have actually passed states a slightly watered down version: doctors *may* denounce illegal immigrants but don't have to. It is still shocking.