Wednesday, 17 December 2008

once more into the breach dear friends

pre-enrollments for next semester have come in already. These are useful since they show whether I will still be able to eat, and especially at the place I teach which is a permanent 4 year institution they show what students think of your teaching & your courses. Obviously final class numbers can vary quite a bit from these numbers but it's a start.

So far I have 13 for the EU, 17 for 20thC Italy, 21 for Europe since 1945 and 17 for History, Memory & Popular Culture. These are pretty good since for the school where I teach the first two, class sizes average max 10, and for the second two it's about15. Most pleasingly, in the latter two courses I will have at least 4 or 5 students I've taught this term, which means they must have enjoyed it. I am most pleased that my star student, far and away the best in the class, is taking my Memory special subject. She was only supposed to be over here for 1 term visiting but has chosen to stay on. This is great news.

I've also had nice feedback from a couple of students who have made a point of coming to see me or even email me to say they enjoyed the course, they feel like they learned a lot, one of them even wants to choose her thesis topic based on something from my course (the impact of the Cold War on Italian politics).

It makes up a lot for the tiredness to know that it is appreciated and even enjoyed by some of them. Suddenly I feel a tiny bit less exhausted.

2 comments:

bernardlion said...

'ray spangles!

Brava, brava, brava.

Martinus Scriblerus said...

Hey, congratulations, that's fantastic. Are you teaching four classes again? (Also, I don't remember the name of the second institution you're at.) I would love to see your laudatory feedback. Oh, and Rebecca had an exam remark that 'England from the fourteenth to seventeenth centuries was in desperate search of meaning.'