Tuesday, 13 May 2008

Spangly Princess 1 - 0 Chelsea

Although I am horrendously busy with work, things are by no means all bad. On the contrary, it's almost a relief to have so much work. And things are also very good in other parts of life (even before we come to the football).

My own personal triumph, soon to be completed, is that I have successfully lured Chelsea Boy away from his friends, his family and most importantly his football club, and he is coming to live with me here in Rome. Woot!

Well, ok, he may retain some passing interest in the aforesaid friends/family/forces of darkness, but basically I win, right? I mean, he is giving up his season-ticket, and his job working at the club he loves... and is already considering getting a season-ticket in the Sud with me. hahaha. In return I will... er... let him watch Chelsea on the telly sometimes?

We have found a place to live, which super-excitingly is in San Lorenzo. He arrives, and we move in, on 1 June. We will be sharing with a pair of scientists, two blokes from down south (inevitably). The bedroom is huge and has its own balcony. I think it's going to be pretty cool.

14 comments:

ursus arctos said...

Tanti Aguri!

We'll have to bring a housewarming gift next time we come down.

Genuinely extremely happy for both of you.

Antonio G said...

Congratulations.

But can you get him to spend June cheering for i Azzurri?

oscar said...

Congratulations!

Tell me, as someone who's plotting a move back to Rome myself this summer, what's the recommended method of finding a room these days? Any websites of reasonable quality, or is it still the old tried and tested method of looking at adverts in papers that's the way to go?

Chelsea Boy said...

I'd just like to point out if you even try and stop me watching them in any capacity I will start wearing sandals with socks, become a jealous maniac with any man who looks at you and speak to everyone solely through the medium of English words with o or a on the end, shouted very loudly. Capisce?

Eddy 'FCUM Boy' Jambon said...

Excellent news.

Now to get him to take a few of his filthy cockernee compatriots with him, and this London place may just become inhabitable.

Spangly Princess said...

CB: hehe got you in a panic have I? *cruelly hides telly*

I expect you can find some lazio fans to watch chelsea with, if you reallly want....

To everybody else: thanks for your kind words

Oscar - moving back to live, or temporarily? I would suggest affitto.it and portaportese.it

I put an ad up in the "wanted" section of Porta Portese and about 30 people called me over the following 3 days.

NickLazio1900 said...

Congratulations and welcome to Rome. I'm sure that you'll enjoy yourself despite the blackshirts.

Don't be too sure about Lazio fans supporting Chelsea, there is an affinity between the clubs as they are the teams of the upper classes of their respective cities, however many Lazio faithful feel a debt of gratitude to Man United for what they have given us over the past couple of years...

Spangly Princess said...

In all seriousness, I think the supposed "gemellaggio" is very much in decline, though it is still apparent to some degree - you see Chelsea symbols in the Nord from time to time, no? and a laziale kid I got chatting to the other day demanded that I teach him all the correct words of the "Inno del Chelsea", bless him.

chelsea boy said...

I don't think that Chelsea an especially upper-class club any more than Arsenal are, for instance. The supposed Lazio 'link' has very little meaning for any of us over here.

oscar said...

Spangly; it's for the summer initially, with a look to maybe enroll at a university later to be determined in the fall.

Thanks for the nod in the right direction!

Spangly Princess said...

Oscar, come and enrol in one of the American universities where I teach! gwan, it'll be fun.

ursus arctos said...

Carissima,

Enroll has two "l"s in American.

BTW, you should tell the EIU folks about your new affiliation; it is indeed (significantly) more prestigious and will look better on your name tag and in the conference publication.

egan said...

Congratulations!

oscar said...

Not that la sapienza has left me completely convinced of its greatness...name-drop some cool american universities just for the heck of it, I'll check it out!

Actually, if I may hijack this space: does anyone here have experience from studying at uni in Rome? It'd be interesting to hear some first-hand perspectives.