Thursday, 1 May 2008

Champions' League Semi-Final: Chelsea 3 Liverpool 2

Whilst obviously I have never gone back on my avowal of the intrinsic evil of Chelsea, I was very happy about this.

Not least because I deplore the very existence of Liverpool at all times, and in particular when they have usurped a place in the semis which should have belonged to Arsenal. And I am delighted that they will not besmirch another European Final with their presence.

Mostly though I am just happy because Chelsea Boy is so very very happy indeed. He woke me up in the middle of the night to ask whether there would it mightn't be cheaper for him to fly to Moscow from Rome. Bless him. I was all nervous on his behalf watching the game on tv, which was also weird for me, and a bit Wrong. In fact, the level of anxiety I felt last night made me realise just how strong my feelings for him must be. Now we have to hope they win in the final (I know that my mother shares my view, despite her extreme Arsenalosity: she posits a single transferable vote system, which I think sensible).

I am of course wholly opposed to this "all Premier League Final" malarkey. Make it champions only and make it meaningful. Yes I know that means Roma wouldn't be playing in it any time soon, but it would revitalise the Uefa Cup too. And briong back the Cup Winners' Cup too damnit.

anyway, forza Chelsea. We can teach you a few of our "odio Manchester" chants if you like?

5 comments:

TrentToffee said...

"Not least because I deplore the very existence of Liverpool at all times, and in particular when they have usurped a place in the semis which should have belonged to Arsenal. And I am delighted that they will not besmirch another European Final with their presence."

Gloriously written.

I do think the Frank Lampard stuff is being a bit over-cooked. Take a read of this drivel...

www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football
/european_football/article3851215.ece

yak puke vomit gag gag...

I haven't felt quite so ill since I contracted giardia in the Pyrenees.

A. said...

'All English' final is going be even more annoying to hear. It'll be pounded into our heads at every turn in the coming days, which I'm dreading.

And yes - Chelsea is indeed pure evil. I fear that I've bought completely into the 'oooh, poor Lamps' tip every paper's hawking. It's terrible. They got me, the conniving bastards.

chelsea boy said...

Buy into the press hype, the man was immense last night. Word.

Henry Ford said...

Word? How old are we?

patcook said...

Whats wrong with the Champions league or the UEFA Cup? All the Semi's were tense and went right to the wire, even if some of the football left a bit to be desired.

I've got a solution for ending these all one nationality semi's and final's. instead of keeping them apart until the quarter final stage allow teams from the same nation to be drawn in the same group if their coeffecients allow it and force them to play off in the first knockout round. That way, by the quarters there would be at most only 2 teams from each country.

But i like the current format. I can't remember the last time i thought a CL competition was truely boring, theres always some boring matches but the competition always produces some fantastic moments and stories.

I think i'll end up siding with whoever doesn't win the EPL. It would be nice to see them get one trophy each and squabble all off season about who is really better.