Friday, 4 April 2008

In praise of... the miraculous workings of providence

Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?
Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?
Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?
And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:
And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?
Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
(For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.

(Matthew 6:25-32)

How lovely the rhythms of the King James Bible. I am always bitterly disappointed on those rare occasions when I happen to have to go to some kind of C of E service and they use some inelegant modern translation.

The idea is an appealing one, that someone somewhere will provide. It is though perhaps a slightly problematic passage since plenty of people have cause to ask, What shall we eat, on a daily basis. Nonetheless for me things have always more or less worked out this way. If I do my best, and work hard, and don't ask too much, and trust, then usually things somehow sort themselves out in some fashion: something always comes along.

But just as I was fretting even more than usual about work (too many hours) and money (far too little) an email arrived offering me extremely regular translation of a very congenial kind - namely, within the ambit of sports journalism. Something very similar happened for me a few years ago in just the same way. Maybe we make our own luck. Maybe it is the workings of providence. I am not a practising Christian and so I do not put my faith in the Lord that I will be fed, clothed and housed. But I suppose I do have a kind of faith that things will be ok, if we do our best, and take personal responsibility. Christ, I sound like some kind of intolerably vague hippy. But there you go.

It won't be enough to stop me fretting altogether but - if it works out - it might just be enough to keep the wolf from the door a bit, with luck. Doesn't solve the problem of there not being enough hours in the day, mind.

3 comments:

garibaldy said...

been on jobs.ac.uk today?

Antonio G said...

Complimenti. I hipe it works out for you.

Antonio G said...

Or "hope", even.

yeesh.