Tuesday, 11 March 2008

In praise of....

Umberto Eco. Yesterday morning, reading Il nome della rosa on the train to work, I read right through Trastevere and missed my stop. I had to get off at the next one and wait in the rain for a train going back the other way. All of which nearly made me late for class. I have a tendency to get lost if reading something totally absorbing. I finished the book over lunch and had to phone my brother excitedly about it straight away to talk about theories of knowledge and symbols and post-modernism and other things he knows a lot more about than I do. Since it is late, and I'm hungry, I shall limit myself to saying how wonderful it is, and commending it to you all very highly indeed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cracking book. I found "Foucault's pendulum" even better, it contains some excellent insight into 1970's Italy political scene as well as the usual Eco symbolic disgressions.

YG

bernardlion said...

I detested it, but it takes all sorts...