Monday, 18 February 2008

internet broken

I haven't posted but not because I'm sulking about losing to Juve. Though of course I am. But the fact that Chelsea Boy's internet has all the stability of Cristiano Ronaldo in a slight breeze and that, it transpires, my "flatmate" (he is never in the flat and is not much of a mate) hasn't paid the phone bill, means that I have been, and continue to be, internetless. So I am still at work, at quarter to nine, having got up at half five this morning in the UK. And for some reason am writing a blog post rather than going straight home. Who knows why.

So: Totti is still immobile, not running at all, not kicking the ball properly - lots of flicks, back-heels, using the side of his foot etc all of which mean it his foot is hurting badly - and is contributing precisely sweet fa to the team. Why oh why are we playing him when he is NOT ALRIGHT?? sigh. Taddei was unnoticeable, ditto Perrotta, and Mancini was having one of those why-am-I-hear days. We created lots of attacking opportunities but few concrete chances, there's a total lack of a decent final ball. That said we at least looked pretty organised at the back. From what I have seen (only highlights of the first half, since we didn't get to the bar til half-time) Juve didn't look that threatening, and if it hadn't been for Del Piero's inevitable brilliance at the free kick it would have been a (tedious) draw. As it is they are now just a point behind us.

Wins for Inter & Lazio just served to make the whole weekend that much more delightful. Oh, and that small matter of Arsenal looking absymal at Old Trafford. Sometimes I hate football. Only of course I don't, at all, because we're at home to Real Madrid tomorrow evening, and even though Totti is fucked and Aquilani is rowing with Panucci and Real are clearly a stronger side and we have no realistic chance of passing the turn (do we say that? I can't remember my english) I can't help hoping and dreaming. And feeling a knot of excitement in my stomach (though, on reflection, that might be hunger... I haven't really eaten anything today.)

9 comments:

ursus arctos said...

It's "going through" in English, dear.

And the unmentionables lost to Betis at the weekend. You have every reason in the world to be optimistic about this tie.

Forza Roma.

Aussie Romanista said...

I posted my feelings re Totti's merda-ness and Del Piero's brilliance on Ginkers' blog.

However, isn't Nedved a muthafriggin c*nty bastard for diving like a 15 year old chinese olympian to earn the free kick which resulted in ADP's awesome goal? I'm sure I saw a half-pike in there. Mexes didn't touch him. So the game really deserved to be 0-0. But I'd pay to see Del Piero do that any day, even against my team.

For├ža Roma esta noche!

Richard said...

Shirley a Roma win is the least likely result tonight? More's the pity. All the same, I will enjoy the rare opportunity to watch Roma live on British TV in a meaningful game.

If Totti's crocked, I'm even more inclined to think that a draw would be a good result tonight. Perhaps Roma can get him straight for the second leg - which is, what, two weeks away?

I know Real lost to Betis on the weekend, but prior to that, their form had been imperious. Didn't they hammer Valladolid 8-0 recently?

Random point re: Totti - what is a 'Pupone', and why is he called one?

ursus arctos said...

They only put seven past Valladolid . . .

"Pupone" is the superlative of "pupo", meaning baby boy. Spangles will no doubt have more Roman colour, but to us foreigners in the hostile north it always evoked his essentially child-like qualities, and really took off when he started doing his thumb-sucking goal celebration.

TrentToffee said...

...there's only one thing for it. You need to get completely shit-faced.

martinobhoy said...

Ach these Spanish teams are over-rated and are never comfortable away from home.

Well that's the straw I'm clutching to.....

ursus arctos said...

See. guys?
The power of faith.

Now finish the job in Madrid.

chelsea boy said...

We all know what happened the last time they took a 2-1 lead to an away leg.. Let's hope it doesn't happen again.

Richard said...

Can I be the first to tempt fate by saying that Real didn't look very good last night? I thought Roma were well below par, but they were still quite comfortable - despite conceding most of the possession.

Is Cicinho injured? I'd prefer him to Panucci at full-back against Robben. Panucci has the occasional shocker these days, doesn't he?