Thursday, 7 February 2008

grammar thoughts

what is the infinitive from which we derive "must"? I must, you must... but I will have to, I had to... were does must come from? English is weird

Meanwhile in the Italian version of Buffy, the Scoobies address Giles as "Lei" and as "Signor Giles" (even when talking about him in his absence....) Surely this is wrong? I mean, granted, no-one uses Lei or its associated formal forms of address down here, or at least much less than they do up north, but... if Buffy calls him Giles not Mr Giles, and given the general disrespect with which they all behave, surely the Lei is out of place?

3 comments:

Princess of the Universe said...

I've often wondered why they started calling him "Giles"? He's still the adult...
Something to ponder...

Paul de Man said...

"Il faut qu'Angelus".

And you know it.

Juventino said...

Kids these days!