Sunday, 3 February 2008

anniversary

Yesterday was 2 February, which makes it the first anniversary of the untimely death of Inspector Filippo Raciti. I was going to write something yesterday afternoon but was too busy researching the politics of Austria-Hungary in the period up to 1914 and then cooking a huge dinner - beef chilli and then apple & apricot crumble with custard. And today I have mostly been a) sleeping and b) sulking about losing 0-3 at Siena. Siena!! jesus. We played like shit. End of match report.

I also haven't leapt to the computer full of eagerness to write about Raciti because it's hard to know what to say. Investigations into his death continue. Deaths in Italian football continue. Casual violence continues. Police violence and incomptence continues. Hatred of the police continues. Ridiculous statements from the authorities continue. Ill-conceived and unworkable legislation based on profound ignorance and knee-jerk reaction continues. And the whole circus of Italian football continues, much as ever it did. A few things have got worse - no megaphones, fewer striscioni - but there has not been, that I have seen, any change for the better since Raciti died.

This is all rather gloomy sounding which I didn't mean it to be. Over the next few days I shall try to take a look at some of the responses which might offer positive ways forward.

6 comments:

ursus arctos said...

You aren't alone in your depression and frustration (though the Viola haven't lost yet).

A year on, Raciti's death seem to be yet another of the unsolved and unresolved tragedies that have market the modern history of the country. Vajont, Piazza Fontana, Ustica, the primary school that collapsed in the last earthquake, Raciti, Sandri.

I am in now way suggesting an equivalence among these in human, social or political terms. But there is a profoundly depressing sameness in how things not only fail to get better, but actually get worse.

Povera Italia.

TrentToffee said...

I think you're allowed to be a bit gloomy after yesterdays game I would be too. 8 points is a pretty big gap to bridge. In years gone by I'd have said "don't worry, if anyone can screw it up Inter can", but, not now. Shame.

Antonio G said...

I would have thought losing 3-0 to siena and falling 8 points back was actually a pretty good metaphor for the last few years of the Austro-Hungarian empire. Tres fin-de-siecle.

Things are bad, you know it's going to end soon, you don't know when the final blow is going to hit, but boy was that a portent of impending doom.

Paul de Man said...

Antonio, this is probably the funniest thing I've read in all of 2008. Good work.

philcafc said...

Have you got stewards in your curva yet, or is the big yellow stairway bringing everyone in line? At Parma there were a few stewards on the other side of the perspex, but stood there with blank faces when someone fell down the stairs. The guy was struggling to get up, yet they didn't check on him nor call for medical assistance. I can see why people get so fed up of authority.

Juventino said...

This is off-topic, SP, but I thought I'd bring this to your (everyone's) attention...I guess it must be my favourite topic, because I keep doing it.

http://www.sportal.it/news/news192911.html

Roma came second in 2001/02, so you should be disgusted by Moratti claiming a scudetto that would be Roma's before Inter's. Also, and I've said it before, it's more evidence that calciopoli is an excuse to escape from responsibility of shyteness (read: being the moronic president of Inter).

Anyway, Spangles, I wanted to ask you if Giuseppe Giannini has anything to do with Roma these days. If not, do you know what he's up to? I miss seeing him every week on RAI International's Giostra dei Gol, which he left to take up the position of allenatore of Foggia. Don't think he lasted there, though...