Monday, 28 January 2008

on gentlemanliness

I went to buy my ticket for Roma-Real today, and also for Roma-Samp tomorrow night in the Coppa Italia.

A ticket in curva for the league is usually €15, and usually it's the same in Europe - it was €15 in the group stages, and the same for Lyon & Utd last season. For some reason they are charging us €20 to see Real though. I'm not going to pretend that it's an unreasonable or excessive figure, but an extra third on the price of a ticket seems like a hefty whack to me. Other tickets have gone up by a similar proportion, it seems. Frankly it feels a bit money grabbing. But I guess that's the Champions' League for you.

On the other hand, a spot in curva for tomorrow's return leg of the cup QF is a totally bargainous €5 so I can't complain. And all kids under 14 go free, in compliance with the Amato-Melandri post-Raciti laws against violence.

There was a queue outside the Roma Store and I had to wait some 10 minutes or so; when I got to the front of the line, the chap on the door looked at me in astonishment and said "you shouldn't be waiting! go inside now! go to the desk on the right, go on, go to the front of the queue!"

er... ok... in I toddled and up the stairs to the biglietteria, where I again waited in line. A moment later the doorman came huffing up the stairs behind me, took me by the arm and walked me to the front of the queue. "You shouldn't have to wait," he repeated, and turned to the guy in front of me: "sorry, but you must stand aside!" I was totally perplexed, and once he'd gone back out to mind the queue in the piazza outside, I apologetically resumed my place in line behind the guy who had, after all, been there first.

Tickets bought, I made my way out, where queue-bargey man again assailed me. "You waited, didn't you?"His tone was decidedly accusatory. "Er... um.. well yes, I did." "You mustn't! it's your right not to wait." "Um... why?"

"It's an absolute rule! Pregnant women and the disabled should never have to queue!"

oh god. I fled before he told me which of the two he thought I was...

12 comments:

TrentToffee said...

Wonderful :0) What a guy.

sp3ktor said...

I'll say pregnant.

No wait, disabled, yeah that's it.

Can I go back to my first answer?

Anonymous said...

Chivalry isn't dead...it just smells funny.

Enjoy the game(s).

JD

mattcr said...

i'm surprised they even sold you a ticket. you can't expect a woman in your condition to stand on her seat for a couple of hours

Marco Ursi said...

The cheapest ticket for tomorrow's Toronto Maple Leafs NHL hockey regular season game is $72.

ursus arctos said...

You clearly should have demanded a sconto, if not a free ticket and personal audience with Totti.

It is at times like these that one realises that for all of your exquisite sense of culture and command of the language, you just aren't as furbo as the natives.

Spangly Princess said...

Ursus you have managed to make me feel much better about it! which I didn't think possible...

Marco: that sounds very expensive to me. though I would enter a caveat about respective average incomes. also hello & welcome.

chelsea boy said...

I can confirm that she's not pregnant.

Spangly Princess said...

*rests hand protectively on stomach*

it might not be yours. so nerr.

Paul de Man said...

Jesus kids. Shush now. Also, an unrelated question, SP: I just did multiple simultaneous submissions of an article. Is this naughty? I can't remember.

martinobhoy said...

€20 for the last 16 still sounds like a bargain to me.

We're getting skinned £38 to see Barcelona in the same competition which I reckon is over €50.

ursus arctos said...

Ours for Inter-Liverpool are Euro 30, but that is for the lower second tier at midfield; the curvae are Euro 20 (Euro 15 for the third tier).

British ticket prices generally look extortionate from an Italian perspective, and I'm not sure that the average income in Glasgow is any higher than that here.