Tuesday, 20 November 2007

small world

So, though I have lived full-time in Rome for less than 2 years (after a period of regular toing and froing) and don't have the largest social circle in the world, I have two friends who knew Gabriele Sandri personally. Is it just me or is that quite random? Chances are I would have met him one day. It helps that I am the same age as he was, of course.

One had worked with him for a while some 7 or 8 years ago, when my mate M was a club promoter and Sandri a hopeful young DJ. The other, A, is both ubiquitous on the clubbing circuit and has a lot of contacts among ultras of both stripes in the city; they were quite good mates. M was shocked and disconcerted by the news; A has I think been properly grieving.

It's not a very large city, of course. But I am not used to having news stories quite so close to home.

5 comments:

* (asterisk) said...

Yeah, it's weird, isn't it, even knowing someone who knew someone who was senselessly killed? I hope this is properly investigated and not just glossed over.

punk said...

eh si
il mondo รจ piccolo!

Giuseppe said...

Rome society is made of layered "horizontal" groups of homogeneous people. You are part of a specific circle (like the ultras, those who go clubbing or play tennis) and your chances of knowing any member of the same circle grow very rapidly. If six degree of separations hold in the world, I think just two of them are enough to cover almost all people in "town"...

Martha Elaine Belden said...

wow! i can't believe how much i miss by sort of ignoring the news (i know this makes me sort of stupid... but the news makes me weary)

and to better understand what you've been writing about, i (of course) googled sandri... and lo and behold... the first news story i stumble upon mentions YOU!

Spangly Princess said...

You are of course right Giuseppe, and there's also an age-group element.

and hehe Martha that's funny!