Monday, 12 November 2007

lest we forget the heart of the matter

It's not my place to criticise a newly bereaved parent. Still less who has just lost their son in tragic, incomprehensible, random and meaningless circumstances.

I think we can safely say though that this is not going to improve the situation:



"Yesterday a disgusting bastard murdered my son. May you be cursed for all time."

This sign has been affixed on the outside of the shop which Gabriele Sandri and his family ran in the Balduina neighbourhood, just northwest of the Vatican.

Only a small part of my mind can focus on the potential ramifications of this inflammatory message. Mostly the intensity of the grief and the rage makes me want to cry.

[edit at 13.20 local time] the latest news is that this has been taken down, and stories are circulating that it was not the family after all, but an unknown third party. Let's hope so.

[and again: it was definitely not the family, who have indignantly repudiated the notice and its sentiments. It remains a mystery as to who was responsible].

4 comments:

ursus arctos said...

I thought it was going to be hard for something to come out this morning that made me more depressed than I already was.

And then I saw the sign.

And then I saw the report that a complete ban on away travel is considered highly likely.

TrentToffee said...

Perhaps the local vicar needs to have a word. And persuade them to take the sign down. Not helpful. Or dignified.

Aussie Romanista said...

Away travel should be banned in Series A to C2 for the rest of this season and all of next.

Albert Herring said...

Didn't the family deny having anything to do with sign and get it removed fairly sharpish? (from the Repubblica chronology yesterday I think)