Wednesday, 18 July 2007

SpanglyPrincess: The Return

So having completed my conference commitments yesterday at 17.00 I have returned to the sweltering delights of Rome with perhaps undignified haste. Not least this is because today was the last day I could renew my season ticket for the Curva Sud. And wherever I am, whatever I'm doing next year I have no intention of giving that up. So I got home at about 1 and went straight out for pizza al taglio and a new credit card format piece of card to fret about losing for the next 10 months or so. Prices were frozen this year so just the €235 it cost last year. Happy Fucking Days, as my Belfast mate always says.

I have been terribly neglectful of late and have been meaning to tell you about all sorts of exciting things, unfortunately I have been awfully busy (whisper it) working. I can only apologise wholeheartedly for this unprecedented oversight and assure you that I'll do my best not to let it happen again. I have spent the last month producing a conference paper on Caporetto (as first mooted back in January for this conference in Northampton). Anyway I gave my paper on Monday, accompanied by what if I may say so myself was a fairly whizzy powerpoint presentation, and I think it went alright. I talk too fast, and had written too much, and get too nervous and thus lack a bit of fluency, but no-one seemed to think I was stupid or pointless so, you know, I think it was overall a success. They liked the photos and they laughed in the right places and they asked some moderately interesting questions, which are all good signs. And the conference proceedings are likely to be published (eventually!) which is also good news.

Anyway now I'm all done and free to return to much more important things, like blogging. I have to say, I've rather missed it. I have been repeatedly brooding on things I'd like to blog about - like Thaksin Shinawatra, the apparent arrival of a new Cold War, my college ball (probably my last ever as a member of the college). I arrived back here to discover that we've bought Giuly! this is exciting news. I was going to mention Chelsea Boy, who has managed to elevate himself from the status of part-time bit of fluff into something rather more serious, and who then threatened the entire promotion by making me sleep on blue Chelsea bedding. Ugh. Misery is having to nestle under a giant picture of John Terry. *scrubs self clean with bleach and scouring pads* I had my revenge, mind, courtesy of my little brother's Arsenal blanket.

Anyway. In other news I got to meet the charming TrentToffee at our family party last saturday; I got to buy a new suit for the conference in the sales; I got to supervise the new patio; and I met some interesting people over a variety of dinners. On which topic, the pasta water is boiling, I must begone. For now.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm...You've just made me realise that I should use "I sleep under giant posters of Vialli, Baggio & Del Piero" as a pick up line ;o)
- Juventino

Paul de Man said...

Welcome back, as it were. I miss you, pigface. I'm sorry I didn't text on the morning of the paper. Re-drafted text of paper with Rebecca follows. xxx c

Meredith said...

Damn, bad timing. I leave Rome tomorrow for Oxford! We are ships passing in the night, or some such. I have to say that I'm glad to be escaping the heat. 38 degrees is no fucking fun at all.

trenttoffee said...

Sleeping under a giant poster of John Terry :o( That fella of yours has got a mean streak to him.

Chelsea boy said...

Not only that, but I threw the Arsenal blanket on the floor in the middle of the night.

And it wasn't a giant poster of John Terry, he was on my brother's bedding, therefore crawling all over her (which, if rumours are to be believed, he probably would do given half a chance).

The only reason she was under it was because my nan and grandad were in my room, what with my stroke addled grandad being looked after by me and my dad. I don't have Chelsea bedding, I'm not that sad.

Honest.

Spangly Princess said...

hush, CB, this is a place for my distorted presentations of life not your excuse-making.

Meredith, sorry to miss you! will see you when I'm next back in Oxford perhaps.

ursus arctos said...

I'm trying to figure out which one of you is the luckier one, and having difficulty, as you are each within a rather small circle of genuinely remarkable people I've had the pleasure to meet on the internet.

But who cares? Bocca al lupo to each and to both.

Now if we could only get you to reach the next stage of understanding, in which it becomes incandescently clear that there is only one true football club in London, and they wear lilywhite.

Bentornata, we missed you.

Spangly Princess said...

Ursus! I am so very happy that you have come out of the closet, so to speak, and left me a comment. And only saddened that you felt the need to make one of the few remarks which is guaranteed to see Chelsea Boy & I agreeing on a football matter ;-)

ursus arctos said...

It's all part of my cunning plan to foster the relationship, you see.

I assume that you will be posting something on il Puppone's definitive retirement from the national team.

The Milanese media are not surprisingly conflicted, but I am quite sad that I will never get to see him again in blue.

PS. The lack of prior comments has been almost exclusively the result of our network not being terribly friendly to Blogger. Now that our home network is finally fully functional, it may become more common. Please let us know when the Caporetto paper is posted/published; I'd very much like to read it.

Chelsea Boy said...

Wow, that was rather a nice thing to say about me. Remarkable eh?

That was about me, right?

ursus arctos said...

Yeah, you.

And her too.

Chelsea Boy said...

But more me, yeah? I thought as much.

Spangly Princess said...

Ursus: I'd be happy to mail you a copy of my paper, if you send me your email address