Monday, 9 July 2007

Pietro Badoglio, man of my dreams?

Googling for picture of Italian First World War general and subsequent chief of Mussolini's army, Fascist party stalwart, triumphant conqueror of Ethiopia and Marshall of Italy Pietro Badoglio, I made a rather odd discovery. I need Badoglio's pic for a paper I'm giving next Monday. One of the sites that image search threw up looked to have a promising copy of the picture so I clicked on the link.

The link turned out to be from that well known Italian history source http://www.topsynergy.com/, whose tag line is "Your Key to Successful Relationships." The site offers relationship analysis as based on astrological compatibility. Sample birth charts for celebrities have been drawn up, such that should you feel so inclined you might consider the possible vicissitudes of a union between Barbara Cartland and P. Diddy or between Pablo Aimar (so beloved of my Ex) and Doris Day. Consider, if you will, what the stars have to say on the (doubtless doomed) affaire of Sylvia Plath (who would like to paint the world in pastel colors, apparently) and Mr. Vladimir Putin. Courtney Love and F. Scott Fitzgerald? How about a political scandal: George W. Bush with Veronica Berlusconi?

As you have doubtless realised by now, I had been directed to this site because some eager member of the public (christ, people are weird) had requested that the site process the Birth Chart of Pietro Badoglio.

The opening paragraph informs me that

Tenderhearted and sympathetic to an unusual degree, Pietro Badoglio has an understanding of other people's feelings and needs which borders on telepathy. Pietro Badoglio is extremely compassionate and cannot bear to see any fellow creature - human or animal - suffer. Because of his kindness and nonjudgmental attitude, people suffering from pain or confusion are drawn to Badoglio for help, which he readily gives. Sometimes Badoglio's soft-heartedness is taken advantage of.

Hmm, I'd be interested to hear the opinions of his men on that one. Whilst he was not an attritionist on the model of his one-time boss Luigi Cadorna, chief of General Staff 1914-1917, I'd love to be shown a general from anywhere in history that felt that way. Apparently Pietro (I feel I know him so well now) is also "willing to overlook others' mistakes" which isn't necessarily a good quality in a military commander, while his "need for calm and peaceful surroundings" could also have proved a problem. Luckily, though, he "loves his work and may connect his profession with a hobby in some way." In what way, precisely? Is he planning a spontaneous amateur invasion of Ghana in his spare time? Training an army of hamsters to march on Ljubljana?

Meanwhile a link invites me to "Click here to analyze my relationship with Pietro Badoglio." I realise I have shamefully failed to do so up til now. I thought I was simply writing about his role in the battle of Caporetto, his strengths as a staff officer, his contribution to the running of General Headquarters in the final year of the war. But maybe I'm ignoring the more personal side of our relationship? Am I closing myself off to something potentially deeper, more beautiful? Google Adverts offers a link to http://www.catchhimandkeephim.com/ but I fear my chances of either catching or keeping the general (1871-1956) must be low, even with the assistance of an astrological compatibility chart. So I resist the temptation to have our love match potential analysed. But I think I might struggle to think about him in the same light ever again.

5 comments:

De Vertalerin said...

hahahahaha

Meredith said...

You have reduced me to tears of laughter, and the occupant of the next room may be questioning the shrieks emanating from this room. Both the quote and your take on it are brilliant!

Will you still be in Oxford when I get back (23rd of July) or will you be back in Rome by then?

Pietro Badoglio said...

Fancy a roll in the hay?

Anonymous said...

eheheh spangly!

The Hamburg Cobbler said...

But could he cook? This is Alias usning another, more prosaic, alias