- Ban on flares, rockets, smoke bombs, bangers etc increased in severity (max fine now €2000 not €500, max banning orders increased from 6 months to 3 years) and to be rigorously enforced. Even possession, for 24 hrs before and after a match, is no an offence.
- Match to be immediately halted as soon as any object of whatever kind is thrown onto the pitch. Game to be automatically awarded against the side whose fans are guilty of the offence.
- No more evening matches until new regulations are fully functioning and a notable improvement in behaviour can be seen [at least a month or so, they say]
- No block sales of away tickets or special trains etc., group away travel to end
- No free tickets for ultras
- Greater responsibility for the behaviour of their fans.
- Clubs reponsibile for stewarding and crowd safety
- No more stewards with criminal records for violence (!!) or who are known to be ultras [rocket science, I tells ya]
- No more financial or organisational links with ultras groups [this is one of the few things many ultras might actually go fo as well]
- Absolutely no exemption from the Pisanu requirements. At all. Not even for you, Mr Berlusconi. So nerr.
- Longer term, to be further upgraded for crowd safety (with government financial assistance?)
- To become at least partially the concern of the club(s) using them.
- Total seperation of home and away fans to be enforced, wherever possible, by the stadium structure itself [i.e. not just a perspex wall easily scaled by anyone reasonably sprightly]
- Arrest can now take place up to 48 hours after the event (for disorder etc)
- Prison sentences from 5 to 15 years for resisting/obstructing an officer in the execution of their duty
- "Preventive" banning orders for those "strongly suspected" of being troublemakers [Yeah, that doesn't sound flagrantly illegal if not downright unconstitutional at all....]
- Violent offences in and around the staidum to be processed as quickly as possible [a bit like our Tone's fast-track justice, then]
So... absolutely no exemptions to the Pisanu requirements on stadia, including for European games, and hence nearly all matches to be played behind closed doors. Fair play to them for making a rule and sticking to it rather than caving to the enormous amount of pressure from the clubs. It's just a shame that the rule they're sticking to isn't a very well thought out one. Paolo Maldini commented that football without fans would be meaningless, and he's right. I mean, this is a spectator sport, right? so without spectators....?? Oh wait, I forgot, we're meant to sit at home and watch on the telly. So much more civilised, and all our money goes to Sky. Much better.
The more serious criticism has been voiced by Zamparini, and this is my feeling precisely: this is irrelevant given that not only last week but in nearly all episodes of Italian hooliganism, the violence has taken place OUTSIDE the stadium. Either immediately outside or in nearby carparks, alleyways, prearranged meeting points, who knows. But not inside the stadium. And what precisely will playing behind closed doors do to stop this? er, nothing.
There are some sensible ideas here, and also some stupid and/or irrelevant ones. So: Where is the program of publicity/ education? where are the proposals about points deductions which might make people sit up & take notice? why are we not banning political symbols (celtic crosses etc) if we're banning smoke bombs (which are essentially totally harmless)? where, where oh where is the discussion of policing reform, of training, of good crowd management, of liaison with fans not just beating them up? The underlying social and political issues have not been addressed at all, though that's fair enough in an immediate response.
So, what do we all think about these measures? Comment please!
And finally, another 7 arrests gave taken place today, 5 under-18, and one of the 7 is a member of Forza Nuova, everybody's favourite fascist agitators. The police seem pretty certain they've got their guy as well though still no charge or naming of the chief suspect.