Friday, 5 January 2007

what makes a great friend?

my friend BernardLion (not, you may be astonished to learn, her real name) is a great friend. She divides her time between Rome and Luxembourg and makes my life much better.

She is entertaining company, a thoughtful listener, a considerate dispenser of advice, an imaginative cook, a trustworthy confidant, an enthuasiastic shopper, a generous hostess, a witty conversationalist, an honest critic, an acerbic commentator, a whole-hearted cat-worshipper and a capable drinker.

None of these, however, are her best feature as a friend.

She is all these things but above all she is an excellent buyer and giver of shoes:






Lilac suede! platforms! Peeptoes! 12 cm heels! These are my fabulous Christmas shoes, from Arezzo. I totally ADORE them! Thanks bern you footwear genius xxx They will hopefully be getting their inaugural outing tonight (assuming I feel a bit better by then and less achy.)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Peeptoees in Italy in January!! You'll be getting looks from the ever so sensible over the top Italian wearers of ever so exaggerated clothing such as scarves, gloves and hats regardless of the weather: "ma e` inverno, sei fuori?"

Anonymous said...

"Fuori" as in "di testa" not "fuori" "outside". Well you know what I mean..

Spangly Princess said...

they already know I'm a bit fuori... like all inglesi...

Red said...

Respect to you, Spangly, for being able to walk in 12cm heels. I wandered around the house with my red shoes today just to break them in a bit, and I promptly threw my back out of whack. Better luck to you, my dear!

Anonymous said...

women and their shoes, perhaps the line 'diamonds are a girls best friend' should be replaced by Jimmy Choo or Malanho Blahnick!

de vertalerin said...

Well, I'm off to Rome tomorrow and I hope to meet BernardLion, who I've known online for, um, nearly six years and have never met, though she's met by husband and my son as well as my daughter, and I've met her parents and brother in law.

Funny place, this semi-virtual world.

Anonymous said...

What an amazing coincidence. My best friend Martino wears shoes exactly like those ones! But only on weekends when Celtic are away from home...

Anonymous said...

Not quite my colour Ginkers.

Martha Elaine Belden said...

wow... awesome shoes

funny... they look turquoise in the center picture... but i love the purple :)

and i, too, LOVE shoes (and kudos to you if you can walk in those... i second red)

Anonymous said...

You're a great friend too Spangles! :-)

BL