Friday, 29 December 2006

dilemma (fascism/football content)

so some of you may remember this lovely episode. The Roma ultra I met who was, shall we say, a trifle to the right.

After our not terribly successful date in July I never saw him again, having made my views quite clear. But unexpectedly, this week he's texted me out of the blue to see if I'd like to meet up.

Apart from the obvious er no reaction, I've been thinking... if I'm going to give this ultras project a go - and I've been doing bits and pieces of writing here and there over the last couple of months - I should probably meet him and ask if he'd be happy to discuss this stuff with me for the book, shouldn't I? or should I meet up with him, engineer a discussion, and say nowt about writing it up? (seems unethical but maybe more likely to achieve results...) or should I just leave it? any views?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

definetly do the meet up without telling him your intentions

Red said...

Meet him, but tell him what your intentions are. That gives you the high(er) moral ground. Chances are he'll lap the opportunity to be the source for a book right up, anyway.

Are you off to some piazza or other for New Year's Eve? Ci sono concerti a Roma?

* (asterisk) said...

I'm (predictably) with the missus on this one. Ultràs are surely not the sorts you want to get on the wrong side of... Best to be up-front.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Red and * on this one. I reckon he'll love the opportunity to have his views published.

punk70 said...

si red ci sono concerti a roma
ma non so chi cantano
forse spangles sa.

Anonymous said...

Whatever you decide, I look forward to reading your study notes!

de vertalerin said...

Start a notebook and keep the most detailed records you can. Consider the impact you may be having on him, too - young attractive foreign female, he may say things to you (both true and untrue) that he wouldn't say to another interviewer.