Monday, 18 September 2006

Roma 4 -0 Shaktar Donestsk; Siena 1-3 Roma

Quick round-up of these two games, neither of which I was at. Two excellent results, both of which rather conceal that there are some major concerns about defensive concentration and an intermittent inability to win the ball back - in the first half of the CL game Shaktar just passed it around in midfield whilst we ran after them frenetically. BUT we scoring plenty of goals - 9 in 3 games - we're not conceding much, Pizarro was hugely influential in both games, Totti continues slowly to make progress... Chivu (who looks a bit like Angel/ David Boreanaz, sometimes) was back which was great, he and Mexes have a very solid partnership. The revelation for me in Sunay's game was Tonetto, the replacement for Cufré, who worked really hard and made a lot of overlapping runs, got into great attacking positions and was generally a bit Ashley Cole-like. Which is all good. First Serie A goal for Okaka who was 17 last month and has shot up another couple of inches over the summer, he's ENORMOUS! Also got his full Italian citizenship, I have high hopes of one day seeing him in the maglia Azzurra.

anyway, now for Inter, who only drew - and badly - at home to Sampdoria on Saturday night (evil cackle) and who, having lost last week away in Europe, are under a bit of pressure. Given our respective starts it's a good time to play them, the Olimpico will be pretty full on Wednesday night, bring it on!

this may make you laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUcYiLcyXlU

3 comments:

Paul de Man said...

In response to your earlier post - I keep having the same response from girls when I get them up to my flat and start talking about about huey and the news while I lay down some tarps. I don't know why, but something seems to put them off.

xxx

martinobhoy said...

Surprised you weren't at the Champions League game. These are the games I look forward to the most all season.

But then I suppose you know you'll stiil have Inter, Milan, Fiorentina and Lazio to come while we have Dunfermline, Motherwell and Kilmarnock to look forward to.

Spangly Princess said...

yeah, I really wanted to go but it's not included on the season ticket & I didn't have a chance to get down to the ticket office, so ended up missing out. fear not, I'll be there at the next one.