Tuesday, 12 September 2006

garlic in or out?

a query for my italian or italophile readers: what do you do with your garlic?

if you fry something (eg vegetables) with garlic do you tend to leave it in large lumps then fish it out before serving? or slice it and leave it in to be eaten?

I had spaghetti aglio olio peperoncino as cooked by a tuscan boy yesterday where the garlic had been put in in large pieces (2 or 3 chunks per clove) then fished out after gently frying. it was still sufficiently garlicky that I reeked all day ;-). and other people who've cooked for me here in central italy have done likewise.

but I don't recall seeing people do this up north. I was brought up to just chop it small & leave it in. is it a regional thing? a change in habits? any other views or comments? what's the difference?

5 comments:

Red said...

I wouldn't D-ream of taking the garlic out. I grew up in central Italy too (the Marche), and as far as I can recollect, garlic is usually left in.

As for the size of the garlic pieces, it depends on what I'm making. When I sautee spinach or make aglio, olio e peperoncino, I chop it finely, but when I roast my veggies, I crush a couple of cloves and put them in whole (or in however many pieces there are if I have crushed them to buggery).

Spangly Princess said...

interesting. romans seem to either take the garlic out or leave it whole on the side of the plate. and they put it in whole or at most in 2 pieces when they saute spianch or brocolletti ir whatever.

but then Peppe, author of yesterday's lunch, is from Grosseto, and he was a fisher-outer.

it's a mystery.

punk70 said...

allora
quando si frigge l'aglio nell'olio
è meglio togliere appena si sente l'aroma dell'aglio nella padella...
è l'unico modo x non avere l'aglio nei pasti.
noi usiamo cosi in cucina.

* (asterisk) said...

In.
Out.
In.
Out.
Shake it all about.

Sorry, that was very unsensible. I'd always go for in and finely chopped.

De Vertalerin said...

I've never had the garlic removed in Italy though I've never been further south than Puglia. I've often eaten aglio olio in north and central Italy and it's always had the garlic left it. I have been told by a girl from Naples that she always removes it, though, and she expressed surprised distaste when I told her I left it.